Welcome!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Cedar Lake Dance
























Last month, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend some time in the dance studio of Cedar Lake Dance, a contemporary ballet company, here in NYC. Everyone was uber-welcoming and I really had fun and got to know some of the dancers.

My mission while I was there was to make a record of the motion within. I draw athletes all the time and I'm fascinated by the body. Often I'm forced to work from photography or imagination, though, when it comes to representing motion. Drawing at Cedar Lake, though, was an amazing experience and it truly gave me a lesson on motion. These guys don't stay still!

By the of three days, I had a filled an entire sketchbook! I don't think my images captured the grace of the dancers, but there was at least motion.

I guess they didn't mind having me there either, because they decided to use some of my images in their weekly newsletter for March 17th. You can check it out here.

Currently they're dancing with Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, and you can see their next performance April 24th in New Brunswick, NJ.